Puck48.com - Arizona Hockey Talk
Midget hockey options - Printable Version

+- Puck48.com - Arizona Hockey Talk (https://puck48.com)
+-- Forum: Arizona Hockey (https://puck48.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arizona Youth Hockey (https://puck48.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Midget hockey options (/showthread.php?tid=355)

Midget hockey options - new2scottsdale - 06-24-2021

Just moved to Scottsdale, have two sons that play hockey, oldest is 16.  From what I can tell, the Jr Coyotes don't have a travel team (A/B) at midget.  Am I understanding that right?  Do Jr Coyote players just quit after Bantam?  What's the deal?

Also, they don't have an 18AA team?  And three midget AAA teams, and one midget AA team?  How can that be?  Back east associations tend to have more A teams than AA teams, and more AA teams than AAA teams.  Jr Coyotes seem to have it backward.

Very confusing for someone used to playing in the Northeast Sad

RE: Midget hockey options - Guest - 06-24-2021

(06-24-2021, 02:56 PM)new2scottsdale Wrote: Just moved to Scottsdale, have two sons that play hockey, oldest is 16.  From what I can tell, the Jr Coyotes don't have a travel team (A/B) at midget.  Am I understanding that right?  Do Jr Coyote players just quit after Bantam?  What's the deal?

Also, they don't have an 18AA team?  And three midget AAA teams, and one midget AA team?  How can that be?  Back east associations tend to have more A teams than AA teams, and more AA teams than AAA teams.  Jr Coyotes seem to have it backward.

Very confusing for someone used to playing in the Northeast Sad

Welcome to AZ. It is confusing. Another hallmark of AZ hockey is the early tryouts.  Many of the spots have already been taken, but I'm sure you can find a spot or two if you reach out. The Coyotes do have an 18 aaa team.
For a 16 year old midget 05 I'm assuming. Your options are Jr Coyotes AAA and AA, Jr Sun Devils, Bobcats, Mission, Arizona Hockey Union and AZ Titans. You can also reach out to Ahsha for high school team options. Ahsha is probably a better option than titans historically speaking anyways.

RE: Midget hockey options - Guest - 06-28-2021

Thanks for the information. From some other conversations it sounds like the primary option for midget players is high school and high school is pretty big here. And the better players play AA. Trying to get my oldest on one of those teams, either the Bobcats or Jr Devils given they have a path to 18AA.

RE: Midget hockey options - anon - 06-28-2021

[quote pid="632" dateline="1624933870"]
Thanks for the information.  From some other conversations it sounds like the primary option for midget players is high school and high school is pretty big here.  And the better players play AA.  Trying to get my oldest on one of those teams, either the Bobcats or Jr Devils given they have a path to 18AA.
[/quote]

BN from Jr Devils was one of the coaches for my son's team. Great guy and great coach with a wealth of hockey knowledge. If my son were the right age we would have tried out for his team again without a doubt.