Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Consolidating "schools" for 2022-23
Heard that AHSHA is going to consolidate schools, and ensure that each "school" has 2-3 teams, instead of the structure in years past where teams have such a broad range of players on them.  This is a good move.  D3 players can play on D3 teams and get both development time and have some fun accomplishing things, and many of the D1 players stuck in D2 can play on D1 teams instead of D2, forcing them to compete more and leveling up D1 overall.  Like that AHSHA can take inventory of its situation and work in a positive way to make things better for its customers.
Good idea if true. Sad to see top kids not challenged, carrying lower level teams and punished because they go to a smaller school.
When would AHSHA make that kind of a change if they were considering it?  Pretty soon I assume?

I think there would be pros and cons to making such a change.  A "D1 caliber" player who was playing for a school that had D2 as their highest team could have played for another "combined school" with a D1 team if playing D1 was that important, couldn't they?  But instead they might choose to stay and play for a team with their own school's mascot on their sweater.

If AHSHA makes a change as described, that player would be sent off to another school's team without that choice.

One of the fun things about HS hockey (compared to club hockey or house)  is the student fans attending games, and especially during playoffs.  Will the same number of fans from a former D2 school show up for some other school?  Maybe?
(04-05-2022, 08:45 AM) Wrote: When would AHSHA make that kind of a change if they were considering it?  Pretty soon I assume?

My understanding is that this goes into effect for 2022-23 season.

(04-05-2022, 08:45 AM) Wrote: If AHSHA makes a change as described, that player would be sent off to another school's team without that choice.

My understanding is that players still have the choice of school even if their team is combined. I mean, this already happens today, right? If a school doesn't have enough players, they move those players to another team. The difference here is instead of trying to put x players into a "school," now they try to put 2x players into a "school."

I think this is going to affect the D3/JV players more than the D1 players. Right now there are plenty of D3 players playing in D2 that just don't get touches, development, etc even if they are working their tails off. Would be nice to see them have some more success and play against players of similar skill.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)